Friday, April 18, 2008

Interesting Facts About Birthdays

My birthday was yesterday April 17th, so I decided I would write a blog on interesting facts about birthdays. I ended up having a really good birthday. My Granny gave me this huge shopping spree and then $100, and my mom bought me a couch set for my apartment. I really had a great birthday. A lot of people remembered which I always think is a big deal because it’s easy to forget other people’s birthdays. One girl that I graduated with even texted me to say happy birthday, and I haven’t talked to her in about a year. Jay is giving me his gifts tonight I think. I’m not sure what his present will be, but I’m sure it will be good. Anyways, back to the topic of interesting facts. I hope you enjoy these.
1) Your actual birthday occurs only once every seven years. Not counting leaping years, the date you were born on moves each year to the following day of the week. For example, if you were born on Saturday March 15th, the following year, March 15th will fall on a Sunday, the year after on a Monday, and so on. This means your annual celebration is actually for your birth date- not your birthday- and in truth your birth day (the actual day you were born on) occurs only every 7 years!
2) In Ireland the birthday child is lifted by hands and feet, and “bumped” on the floor for good luck. The number of bumps given is the age of the child, plus one for luck.
3) No one is exactly sure why we have the birthday cake, but these are a few explanations. One possible reason is because the ancient Greeks used to take cakes (round to represent the full moon) to the temple of their goddess of the moon, Artemis. The Greeks are said to have placed candles on the cake to make it look as if it was glowing like the moon. Another explanation is the birthday cake started in Germany. Geburtstagorten was a type of cake that is said to have been used to celebrate birthdays.
4) Once again, no one is completely sure why candles are used when celebrating birthdays, but here are a few possible explanations. One reason is because (what I said earlier) when the Greeks took cakes to the goddess of the moon, Artemis. The Greeks are said to have placed candles on the cake to make it look as if it was glowing like the moon. The Germans also were known to have been skilled candlemakers and may have put small candles on their cakes, possibly for religious reasons.
5) The tradition of sending birthday cards started in England about 100 years ago. Originally cards were often sent as an “apology” when a person couldn’t visit somebody in person. Today we often sent birthday cards even if we can.
6) The earliest birthday parties in history were held because people thought that evil spirits would visit them on their birthdays. They stayed closed to their family and friends for protection. Later parties became social gatherings where friends and family would bring gifts or flowers to the person having their birthday. Today birthday parties are held just for fun.
7) In Japan, until quite recently, most Japanese children used to celebrate their birthdays on January 1st, regardless of which day of the year they were actually born on. Today however, most Japanese children celebrate on their actual birthdays.
8) In Russia, instead of a birthday cake, many Russian children are given a birthday pie. Instead of using icing to spell a message, Russian birthday pies have the message carved into the pie crust.

1 comment:

Asnanti said...

Wow, I didn't know those interesting facts about birthdays. I love when my birthday comes around. As a child, birthdays weren't celebrated, so as soon as I turned 18, I was sure to enjoy my birthday, well BIRTHDATE. Anyways, Happy Belated Birthdate, I hope that you have a great summer.