Friday, April 4, 2008

Interesting Facts

It has been a while since I did an interesting facts blog, so I decided I would write one on just some interesting facts about animals. If you can't tell by now, I love animals. I wanted to be a vet for years. They are all just so sweet and loving. If I could, I would have hundreds of animals. I hope you enjoy some of these. I thought they were really neat.
1) The five most common dog names for males are Jake, Buddy, Bailey, and Sam. For females, they are Maggie, Molly, Lady, Sadie, and Lucy.
2) The ten most popular dogs in order are Labrador Retriever, Yorkshire Terrier, German Shepherd, Golden Retriever, Beagle, Boxer, Dachshund, Poodle, Shih Tzu, and Bulldog.
3) A famou Beagle you might have heard about is Snoopy. He has been in the newspaper since 1950.
4) Dalmatian puppies are pure white when they are born, and they develop their spots as they mature.
5) A dog's temperature is between 100.2-102.8 degrees Fahreneheit.
6) The American Kennel Club recognizes 150 different kinds of purebred dogs
7) Irish Wolfhounds are the tallest dogs amond all breeds.
8) Dogs were the first animals domesticated by people.
9) Dogs have been wearing collars ever since Egyptian times.
10) To keep themselves warm in the winter, dogs sometimes curl up with their tail covering their nose.
11) In many cities, there are close to 50,000 pets each year that have no homes and no one to take care of them.
12) Lassie was the first animal named to the Animal Hall of Fame in 1969.
13) Dogs have three eyelids. They have an upper and lower eyelid and a third one inside of the other two. It helps protect the eye from dirt and dust. It is also called a "haw".

1 comment:

Nancy said...

Those are interesting facts April. Now you need to do one on my favorite animal, cats!