Monday, April 7, 2008

Interesting Facts About Candles

Well of course I had to have at least one interesting facts blog, so I decided I would make one about candles. I was looking around my den, and I have seventeen candles in that one room! Can you believe that? I sure don't. I love candles, but apparently, I love them too much. I decided I would find interesting facts about them, and some of these really are interesting. Hope you enjoy!
1. The candle industry is growing mainly because of our society's stressful lives and everyone's quest for relief.
2. Candles are used in 7 out of 10 U.S. households. The majority of consumers also burn candles between 1-3 times per week, with half of these consumers burning 1-2 candles at a time.
3. Candle industry research findings indicate that the most important factor affecting candle sales is Fragrance, with color and shape taking a distant second, in the consumer selection of a candle for the home.
4. Overall candle sales are growing faster than the United States economy as a whole.
5. Consumers say they typically burn candles for just under 3 hours. 9 out of 10 candle users say they use candles to make a room feel comfortable and cozy.
6. Candle users say they most frequently burn candles in the living room (42%), by the kitchen (18%), and the bedroom (13%).
7. Candle purchasers view candles as an appropriate gift for the holidays (76%), house-warming gifts (74%), a hostess/dinner party gift (66%), a thank you gift (61%), adult birthday gift (58%).
8. U.S. retail sales of candles are estimated at approximately $2 billion annually, excluding the sale of candle accessories.
9. There are more than 350 commercial, religious and industrial manufacturers of candles in the U.S., as well as scores of small craft producers for local, non-commercial use.
10. Candle manufacturers' surveys show that 96% of all candles purchased are bought by women. Two thirds of candle purchasers say they use candles once a week or more often. Women are more frequent users than men, and younger people tend to use candles more often than older adults.

I hope you enjoyed these. I thought they were very interesting. Oh and feel free to give me any candles! I love the smell of vanilla!

1 comment:

Carlin said...

I was surprised that only 13% of candle users burn them in their bedrooms. You would think that people, especially couples, would use them more to their advantage if you know what I mean. I like candles too. Warmer smells, like vanilla or something appeal more to me than fruity smells. Those give me headaches. Anyway, this was a pretty random blog, but I liked it. You can never know enough I guess.